Sunday, January 10, 2010

The new personal adventure

Day 4 of week 1:

We're not on another traveling adventure (YET), but I have embarked on my own personal new journey. I guess it's not a totally new journey, as I have been here many times before, but I seize it this time with hopefully more vigor! The journey is weight loss.

In the past, I've been temporarily successful (25 lbs) with Jenny Craig (prepare for our wedding), gained it back, plus some extra. Then Atkins (post baby #1), VERY successful (over 60 lbs.), loved the food, but thought I could maintain and modify it...I couldn't, but I haven't ever gained ALL of it back. Most of it, but not all. As it crept back on after baby #2, I decided to try Weight Watchers...again very successful (20 lbs), but when we moved I fell off of the wagon...and gained that 20 back. Got settled in the new place and lived with the 20 for a while. Tried to just "eat well and exercise", and that didn't work for me. Decided when I cleaned out a drawer and found some unused Weight Watchers meeting certificates that I'd give it a try again. Stuck with it for 6 months, lost a bit of weight, but got frustrated that I couldn't find a meeting that fit my schedule and let it lapse. Now, 18 months later and 20 lbs shy of my all time high, I'm back with WW again. I find comfort in the meetings, and accountability. I like the camaraderie and support, and there's almost always a great recipe.

Another reason it has worked for me in the past is that I am a foodie. I enjoy everything about food. I like meal planning, recipe searching, shopping, preparing, cooking, the smells, tastes, and textures. Weight Watchers allows me to do all of this and uses real food, so my family is eating it (in larger portions) right along with me and I don't have to prepare two different meals for each sitting.

Why will this time be different? Hmm...I'm approaching it with the goal of getting to the weight I want (30-40 lbs away from where I am now), not just "let's see what happens". I'm looking at it like when I finally quit smoking---I got mad and determined and dug in my heels that this was it. I'm never going back to that place again.

And that is why I'm blogging. I mentioned accountability before and posting about weight loss on the internet might be the highest level of accountability there is. If I get really brave, I might post an unflattering photo and the actual weight I'm starting at, but for now, that's really not necessary is it? Besides you can see photos of me in other places on the blog. I've gained 10 since the trip, you work it out ;).

Please feel free to pepper me with questions and atta-boys! That will keep me engaged and thinking about what I'm doing.

1 comment:

  1. Somewhere in there were two rounds of Nutri-System as well. Successful until I make my own food, and VERY expensive.

    ReplyDelete