Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 5, week 8 --- I'm 44 today!

Happy Birthday to me (singing)! I'm feeling great and losing weight. I've lost 19.8 pounds, so far and can't wait to hit 20 this week. The big birthday plan is to go out to dinner at a steakhouse (TBD) and head home for birthday mini-cupcakes. I made them just now, and can't wait to see how they taste. It's a speedy, easy, low-point way to have your cake and eat it too! Simple:

one box of cake mix (any brand, any flavor)
one can of diet soda (and brand, any flavor)

Mix in bowl by hand until moistened (mine still had some lumps), bake at 350 for the amount of time the box says (10-12 min. for minis). The first tray just came out at 11, just right!

Calculate points using the box label (mix only numbers) and divide by the number of portions you got out of it. I got 48 mini-muffins out of mine, so it's 1 point per muffin. Different brands and flavors will give you different points.

I got frosting (in a tub) for the rest of the family, but I'll dip mine in some cool-whip if it needs frosting.

Point-wise, it's a better deal than Girl Scout cookies. Who knew? You can make different flavor blends...cherry cola with chocolate cake, orange soda with white cake, endless combos.

The weekend was another dreary, cold, rainy weekend. And then Claire got sick. She left for a fun outing with the Brownies Saturday morning, and I was called within the first 30 minutes to come get her. She got sick in their car and came home with a fever and sore throat. She later developed a rash, and I decided that was enough reason to go to urgent care after just a day with fever. I suspected Scarlet Fever and proved why they call us "Dr. Mom". I was right. In fact, the doctor was sad he didn't have students there to show her "classic presentation". The only thing that wasn't textbook was the fact that her fever was not really high. She never really got over 100.5, but it wouldn't break at all for 24 hours.

She's going to be fine and will go back to school tomorrow, and hey, it meant I didn't have to go to work on my birthday! Thanks Claire.

I typed long enough that the cupcakes are done...and they're great! I'd try some flavor combos next time, but you certainly can't tell they're "diet".

Less later,
Laurie

2 comments:

  1. here are my two favorite flavor combos:
    yellow cake with orange soda
    spice cake with root beer

    We've been making these cakes for years up at camp... We call them camp cake, and we make them in a sauce pan and pass them around the fire. Truly yummy!

    Hope you had a great birthday, and hope Claire is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought diet root beer this week AND diet orange cream soda too. Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete