Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Just a little longer...

Well the kids' last day of school is Thursday, then a mere 10 days later, we're on the road!

If you're like me, before you go away, you like to have the house looking nice. The reasoning for me is morbid but simple...if I die on the vacation (wherever it is), I don't want anyone to see that I left a messy house. Stupid and illogical, I know, but there it is. Like they won't have other things on their minds! Some people don't want to come back to a messy house because it ruins the relaxed feeling the vacation created. Not me. I'm worried about what people will think of my housekeeping skills while I'm in the hereafter! I wish I cared that much while I'm still alive, but I don't. I digress.

My point was going to be how frustrated I am with my inability to get the house straight before this trip. The root of the messiness is this. The living room has become the staging area for the trip. There are piles scattered about for a variety of purposes. I've got a pile of "important papers", a pile of empty suitcases, one of AAA literature, an assortment of accordion folders holding the reservations, packing lists, and phone lists, a box for my portable kitchen (a paring knife, dish soap, scrubbies, straws, napkins, spoons, etc...), piles of kid stuff for them to sort through and thin out...we CAN'T take it all. I've done a "test" packing of the car to be sure the suitcases I've picked will fit IN the car (I don't want them on top), and they do, but there's got to be a limit. Maybe we'll settle down to finding it this weekend. Then I'll know that everything in the staging area will end up in the car and I can clean around it with peace of mind.

We've done the test drive with the Craig's list $35 cartop carrier to be sure the straps will hold (they did). I've purchased and returned the cooler that plugs into the car lighter. It took forever to get cold and never got cold enough for me to trust perishables in it. Plus, I could buy ice twice a day every day of the trip and still spend less than what the cooler cost. Not worth it. I've checked to make sure that the suitcases I've picked all have working wheels so the kids can drag them into the motel themselves (they didn't and I ended up replacing a broken one). We've made little gifts for the people we're staying with along the way (can't tell you what since it's supposed to be a surprise!). I feel like I've reached a standstill until I can actually start packing suitcases. I'm sure I'll create more work for myself before that (LOL)!

I'm still waiting for word on whether or not we get to go in the White House...cross your fingers!

Signing off for now. But I'll be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment