Friday, June 11, 2010

Of Marshmallows and Other Things

It's summer break and this has been a week full of...not much! That's not a bad thing. Claire has been at Camp Invention (an annual tradition for both of our children), swimming, playing with friends, going to and having birthday parties, and Ted has been playing video games, watching TV, reading, playing volleyball and discovering the fun of Facebook. I have been getting a job for next year, reading, entertaining the kids with crafts, making plans for my new library, finalizing summer trip plans, exercising, taking Apple classes, and watching mindless drivel on TV. Wow! When it's all laid out in print, we've been busier than I thought!

So my title this week mentions marshmallows. I've mentioned them before in regards to weight-loss. Profound words at a WW meeting got me to realize that I DO need to exercise or else the weight-loss simply took me from being a large marshmallow to being a smaller marshmallow. I don't want that, so I've been conscientious about doing SOME kind of exercise on a regular basis. I've walked, added step aerobics to the walk, added the occasional sprint to the walk, done videos, done a class, used hand weights, biked, done Netflix exercise streaming, swimming, and even shoveled rocks with Chip. I'm still a little soft, but more like a day old, left out Peep than a fresh Sta-puft marshmallow. Progress is progress. I just have to keep making it a priority and it will happen.

My family has noticed a difference and Claire has developed a new appreciation for healthy stuff. She asks about the healthiness of everything and wants to know if I feel different now that I've lost weight. She has mentioned that I'm not as "fluffy" when she snuggles with me, but that it's ok since it will make me live longer. Out of the mouths of babes.

A different marshmallow avenue...a helpful tip.
Only use fresh marshmallows to make Rice Krispie Treats. Do NOT make them with even slightly firm ones. The first thing I noticed was that they took longer to melt. I figured, no big deal, they'll still be alright. Hmph...not. I mixed the cereal in, spread it out in the pan, nibbled a little while it was still warm and said to myself, "Wow, these are really good. Aren't I frugal, finding a use for stuff in the pantry?" (Just FYI, they were only two months old, but in Arizona, with very little humidity, they don't last long at all) I was very excited because I had found out earlier in the day that the treats are only 2 points each, so they are a great dessert choice for my food plan. Ate a delicious dinner of potstickers and veggies and went to get a treat out of the pan. I could not chisel them apart! They're too light to be doorstops or weapons, but they might make good styrofoam-type building blocks, or maybe insulation of some kind. Very sturdy. Perhaps NASA could find a use for them. Or BP could use them to sop up some of that oil! Anyway, they're inedible. Probably just as well. A pear is better for me anyway, right?

I'm a mere 3-4 pounds away from the weight goal I've set for myself. Tomorrow is weigh-in day for this week. We'll see how it goes. I know I've done well eating, but I've exercised a LOT more than usual and that can actually temporarily cause a weight gain. Something about lactic acid build-up and water retention. I don't think it has, but the scale will tell.

Less later,
Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment