Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Some pictures and the latest

Helps if I actually type something, so I'm editing this. I've used so many computers and internet connections in the past couple of weeks, it's mind boggling (for me).

Today we get a chance to regroup and enjoy the cool, slightly dreary weather. We did go to the boardwalk in OC (NJ not MD) and got to increase our cartop carrier's sticker collection. I will photograph that soon and post it. Back to the boardwalk. It was breezy, gray, but not raining, so we stayed and played mini-golf. Chip was the big winner. Then we strolled along gathering shoobie souvenirs and taking the requisite tourist photos. It was a great time. Grammy treated us to Kohr Bros. frozen custard....mmmmm. I had mine with Jimmies (that's sprinkles to non-Jersey-ites). Sadly, either due to weather, day of the week, or the fact that school isn't out yet, the rides weren't open. We will hope for some non-rainy days in the rest of the visit, but it's not looking good for the home team on that front.

We're experiencing the best and the worst of people on this trip. Best; the amazing scenery all over and the lushness of the greenery back east. Worst; all of West Texas and every bug that's bitten us (especially Claire who apparently is quite allergic). Best; visitor center ladies in Louisiana that gave Claire birthday bling. Worst; toll collector in Midlothian that basically called me a liar when I told her I put the change in the exact change basket and she wouldn't open the gate until I dropped in ANOTHER 70 cents. Best; all the people that offered to take our pictures together. Worst; parking ticket nazi lady at the Metro station ticketing people 30 seconds before the free parking time started (not Trish though). Best; the phone reps for Choice Hotels that easily change my reservations over to free rewards reservations and don't make me feel stupid for not being able to do it myself online. Worst; in person reps at Choice Hotels that do nothing to fix something wrong with your stay, DESPITE the sign at the desk saying "we fix it or it's free" AND the follow-up letters that don't fix OR free it either. Best; all the wildlife we've gotten to see. Worst; the frogs we couldn't spot frog hunting due to too much pollution in their place.

I guess we're pretty close to the halfway point, miles and timewise for this trip. I must say it's been a fabulous adventure so far. The good outweighs the bad in every category. The cost, the weather, the activities, the people we've gotten to see have all been bigger, better, friendlier, more than anticipated. We still have so much left to experience and from here on, most of it will be new to all of us. I can't wait!

I hope the new picture link is working. Let me know!

We'll see some more folks here in Jersey, maybe go to the movies (UP was super!), maybe bowl, definitely play some board games, and possibly swim IF it warms up. We'll keep you posted.

Thanks for hanging in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment